Delegates are able to access the IoD Digital Academy and app, offering CPD content accessible whenever or wherever convenient for the duration of their time with the IoD promoting not only life-long learning, but also the principles of good corporate governance and director development. They will meet and be inspired by a Chartered Director during their time on the course - men and women who are advocates for professional development and have learned valuable lessons to share with those on a pathway to directorship. The course content is as follows:
Day 1: Understanding the director’s role – introduction to the director’s role within an organisation.
- explore their existing strengths, preferences and development needs
- learn the importance of the core director mind-sets and their significance in the context of a director’s legal responsibilities
- gain a clearer understanding of the shift in perspective necessary to progress from manager to director level
Day 2: Directors and the boardroom – examination of boardroom dynamics and the contrasting behaviours that support effective boards and create dysfunctional ones.
- explore board-level key principles and best practice, alongside organisational cultures
- learn how to embody and embed the values of your business
- work collaboratively to tackle issues related to ethical conduct, communication and decision-making
Day 3: Driving board performance and results - delegates are appointed to a simulated board to review its current circumstances and make recommendations for proposed changes.
- both advise and observe the board
- gain experience of - and a framework for - evaluating the performance of their fellow delegates
- consolidate their learning
- gain feedback on their own performance as a member of the board